A native Mainer, Belinda was born in Damariscotta, the youngest of Allan and Janet Ray's four children. She grew up in Newcastle, just down the road from Lincoln Academy, where she attended high school and was the President of her class all four years. Her parents still live in the Academy Hill house where she was raised.
Belinda attended college at the University of Maine in Orono from 1988-1992 and earned her BA in Secondary English Education there.
She moved to Portland in 1992 to finish her student teaching, and since then has taught writing and literature courses at Maine high schools, middle schools, a community college, and to a large and diverse group of homeschoolers in the Greater Portland area and beyond. She has written 25 books for middle grade and young adult readers, including the Charm Club series for Scholastic™.
Belinda, her husband Ward, and their sons, Ian and Evan, bought their home in the East Bayside neighborhood of Portland in 2004. In 2006, Belinda helped to found the East Bayside Neighborhood Organization (EBNO), for which she served sequentially as Vice President, President, and Community Organizer.
In 2015, Belinda was elected to represent District One on the Portland City Council, and she was re-elected to that seat in 2018.
In addition to her role as a Councilor, Belinda is the Accounts and Administration Manager for O'Brien Wood & Iron, a building company based out of Portland's West End.
- City Council, District 1 (2015-present)
- Greater Portland METRO (President, 2018-present; Vice President 2016-2018)
- Greater Portland Council of Governments (President, 2019-present; 1st Vice President, 2017-2019)
- PACTS Transit Tomorrow Plan Advisory Committee (January 2019-present)
- GPCOG Metro Regional Coalition (2017-present)
- Portland Public Library Board of Trustees (Jan 2018-present)
- Portland Public Schools District Advisory Building Committee (Jan 2018-present)
- Health & Human Services and Public Safety Committee (2016-present; Chair 2017-present)
- Sustainability & Transportation Committee (2017-present)
- Parks Commission (2016-2017)
- Finance Committee (2016)
- Housing Committee (2016)
- East Bayside Brownfields Planning Advisory Committee (Co-Chair, 2016-2017)
- Transit West Task Force (2017-2018)
- Co-Grantwriter & Organizer, American Institute for Architecture Sustainable Design Assessement Team Program in East Bayside, 2010
- Grantwriter, Fox Street Basketball Court Rehabilitation, 2009
- Co-Founder, East Bayside Neighborhood Organization, 2006
- Co-Founder, Mom to Mom of Maine, 2000